Wayne Rooney handed two-year driving ban after pleading guilty to drink driving

Wayne Rooney has been banned from driving for two years after pleading guilty to drink driving.

The Everton forward was also handed a 12-month community order and 100 hours of unpaid work after appearing at Stockport Magistrates’ Court.

In a statement, Rooney said: “Following today’s court hearing I want to publicly apologise for my unforgivable lack of judgement in driving while over the legal limit. It was completely wrong.

“I have already sorry to my family, my manager and chairman and everyone else at Everton FC. Now I want to apologise to all the fans and everyone else who has followed and supported me throughout my career.

“Of course I accept the sentence of the court and hope that I can make some amends through my community service.”

Rooney’s legal team asked District Judge John Temperley to consider not imposing a community order because of his ongoing charitable work.

However, the judge said he was “not convinced” that imposing a large fine “would have the same effect”.

Rooney was also told to pay £85 prosecution costs and a victim surcharge for the same amount.

The court heard Rooney was almost three times the legal limit. A breathalyser test showed his alcohol level was 104 microgrammes in 100 millilitres of breath. The drink-drive limit in England and Wales is 35 microgrammes per 100 millilitres of breath.

The 31-year-old made no comment as he arrived to be confronted by a media scrum outside the courthouse.

Wearing a blue suit with his hands in his pockets, he walked into the court building accompanied by a small entourage.

Rooney was charged after being stopped while driving a black Volkswagen Beetle in Wilmslow, Cheshire, at 2am on September 1.

The car belonged to a woman he had met in the Bubble Room bar in Alderley Edge on a night out.

Rooney, whose wife Coleen is pregnant with their fourth child, returned to Old Trafford on Sunday for the first time since leaving Manchester United to rejoin Everton.

The former United captain was given a warm welcome and left to a standing ovation when he was substituted in the 82nd minute of a comfortable 4-0 victory for the home side.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *